Saturday, January 1, 2011

What To Pray?

Good morning!! And welcome to the new year. Clean slate, starting over, all the clichés that are thrown at us over this holiday – take your pick. Unfortunately, we carry with us baggage from choices we’ve made before. One of mine was simply to be awake to see in the new year, and we did so with several couples.

We closed our evening with a circle of prayer, each of us petitioning our Lord for the coming year – most of us mentioning several things we have in common. Some we’ve been praying for months, and we have yet to know the answer. There will be an answer.

A reader reminded me yesterday that prayers are always answered. This is true. Some are a resounding “Yes!” that is unmistakable. Some are “No,” and cause us sadness because we do not understand God’s reasoning. He knows we do not understand:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. [Isaiah 55:8 KJV]

There is another answer we often overlook, “Not now.” John included a request that I firmly believe will be answered with that resounding “Yes!” but it remains a “Not now,” for the present time.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. [Revelation 22:20 KJV]

Still, we approach His throne, knowing that the Holy Spirit speaks for us:

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. [Romans 8:26 KJV]

What should we pray for? The answer is given in God’s word:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [Philippians 4:6 KJV]

What are your requests of our Lord? I must confess often I do not know what my requests should be and I depend on the Holy Spirit to make that determination for me. When I do make specific requests, I understand that what I ask may not be in His will and therefore the answer will be “No.” However, I also understand that His answer will be the best. Jesus said so.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? [Matthew 7:11 KJV]

So, we closed out 2010 – and we began 2011 with prayer.

Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. [Psalms 130:2 KJV]

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Grammy! I pray that you and your family have a terrific year! I am blessed to know you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grammy -

    Great way to begin the New Year - with prayer to the great GIVER - GOD!

    Thank you for your love for our Lord.

    I love that you said that he knows best. Yes, He surely does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)