Monday, December 20, 2010

My Opinion

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

If the name doesn’t ring a bell, just remember that this is the German philosopher who first published in 1882 the words that God was dead. His writings after that continued the precept, though his mental illness grew worse until his death in 1900. Nietzsche was dead.

His work is quoted and built upon more than a hundred years afterward by those who wish to believe Nietzsche was correct. Many more people, however, are building upon the precepts written thousands of years ago that state to this day:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. [Genesis 1:1 KJV]

This same God later demanded:

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. [Job 38:1-4 KJV]

He later explained to His chosen:

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. [Exodus 20:2-6 KJV]

Unlike Nietzsche, I can remember the reasons for my opinions, for they underpin my beliefs. I have at times questioned them and through a variety of circumstances found those foundations to be firm and secure.

I have been angry with God when loved ones have suffered both physical and spiritual pain, but came to realize that He has not promised us comfort and ease through every moment, though He has promised it to us for eternity.

He gives a hard lesson in Luke.

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? [Luke 13:1-4 KJV]

Bad things will happen to good people. Still, my opinion is that God lives. Nietzsche died in 1900.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)