Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wednesdays

I’ve been reminded, again, just how differently we live. I belonged to a Red Hat group, formed by ladies I worked with over the years. It was easy to make the meetings when I was working. Although my commute to work was 45 miles one way, our evening meetings were with a few miles of the office and held right after work.

Since my retirement, there have been two changes. I no longer commute, so it’s an hour’s drive in, an hour back, but it was worth it for the fun, fellowship and entertainment we offered each other. Then my eyesight changed a bit. “Not yet ripe,” as defined by my doctor, cataracts impacted my night driving. Lights were a problem and confidence was lost. So, I resigned from the Red Hat group, asking to be left on their mailing list and they offered me status in attending daytime activities.

The very next e-mail was to move the meeting night from Tuesday to Wednesday. From the responses received thus far, no one has a conflict with meeting on Wednesday nights.

Was I the only one who attended mid-week services at church? True, the adult attendance is not as large in the Sunday services, but our children and youth activities bring in more than a hundred each Wednesday, and my responsibility is to see that the children have a treat and a drink. Nothing earth shattering, but a service I wish to provide within our church ministries.

Aren’t other churches providing mid-week services? My S-i-L in Tulsa attends a church that does. Most weeks out of the year she prepares a Wednesday meal for about 150 people attending meetings at their church – a different denomination – so I know we’re not completely alone.

My S-i-L in Las Vegas attends a starting church, again a different denomination. Their Wednesday services are held in their home. My grandson-in-law is Youth Director a bit further west. There’s no question about where they spend their Wednesday evenings.

Responses to the schedule change have been positive. No one has indicated Wednesday evenings include family activities in a church. .

No – there is no biblical admonition to attend a church service on Wednesday. The closest that comes to mind:

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25 KJV)

Perhaps the one that moves me more to be with those who love our Lord is:

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:20 KJV)

Are there fewer of us gathering in His name?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)