Sunday, November 9, 2008

So Blessed

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. (John 9:1-3)

I want you to know of one who displays understanding, grace, faith and a sustaining good humor where many would ask "Why me?" or "Who sinned?"

I met her in person in 1987. There I heard of her battle in 1969 with Hodgkin's disease. How she was carrying their third child when the diagnosis was made. Heard of the decisions faced and made, operations completed and radiation therapy that rid her body of the disease. What a wonderful story of healing!

But at what cost! Decades later the results of the radiation treatment keep her in touch with a variety of physicians. That the open-heart surgery for valve replacement was complicated by scars and adhesions from her earlier surgeries and the radiation. In fact, the need for valve replacement was a result of radiation. As were many of the other treatments she has had to undergo in the last decade. Including the removal of multiple basal cell carcinomas on a regular basis.

Instead of a "Why me?!?!?" cry from her, I read: "You know, people go through life wondering why God put them on this earth. Well, I finally found out why I am here! God put me on this earth for doctors to use as a human guinea pig. :)"

She goes on: "I rejoice in my pain because at least then I know I am alive. ... All of my problems are caused from the radiation I had 39 years ago. But I still feel I am so blessed because I have lived 39 years longer than the doctors ever thought I would."

The son she was carrying, her children's marriages, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren, helpmeet to her husband, a child honoring her parents -- all of this could have been lost without enduring today the painful results of radiation thirty-nine years ago.

There's another cure available to each one of us. Many are afraid of the consequences, for it is life changing -- acceptance of God's gift of Jesus Christ as our savior. Around the world some are suffering for such a belief. Just last week Christians were murdered in India simply because they were Christians. Iran wrote laws that to convert to Christianity invites a death penalty. China outlawed evangelism. Many countries do not allow the Bible to be brought into their nation. Yet, people continue to hear and accept.

As does this lovable grandmother, they still feel so blessed and give thanks. She has ... the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)