Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Eliezer

Eliezer – when I awoke this morning, the name Eliezer was in my mind. I couldn’t place the name with a story, so decided to look it up this morning. I thought there might be a specific Bible story that prompted the memory.

Wow! Why didn’t I remember – there were fourteen different references, so I’ve read the name several times.

Beginning with Abraham’s lament, before God changed his name: And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? (Genesis 15:2 KJV)

Ending with a single verse in the New Testament: Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, (Luke 3:29 KJV)

Nope -- except for: Then Eliezer the son of Dodavah of Mareshah prophesied against Jehoshaphat, saying, Because thou hast joined thyself with Ahaziah, the LORD hath broken thy works. And the ships were broken, that they were not able to go to Tarshish. (2 Chronicles 20:37 KJV); where there is an action, the name rests among lists.

I didn’t see a lesson here, yet.the name was so strong in my mind that there had to be a lesson in there somewhere. So, I researched the meaning:

"The boy's name Eliezer \e-lie-zer\ is a variant of Eleazar. See for origin and meaning of Eliezer. The boy's name Eleazar \e-lea-zar\ is pronounced el-ee-AY-zar. Variant of Lazarus (Hebrew) "the Lord will help". Biblical: the son of Aaron and later his successor as high priest of Israel." Another site translates as "My God has helped."

Now there’s a truth!! Future or past tense, this is truth. God helps. Lazarus is one of the better biblical stories showing His ability to do so.

If I had ever known the meaning of the name, I cannot recall. Yet I know that my Lord will and has helped. And I know that I need His help every single day.

And this morning He gave me this name as a reminder that He does so. All I had to do was do a bit of looking into His message. Are you willing to look for what He has for you, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)