Friday, November 7, 2008

Call

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD. (Genesis 4:26 KJV)

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Jeremiah 33:3 KJV)

Do you sound different to certain people over the phone? I did. I had a ‘business voice’ for answering business phone calls. Very professional, unemotional, uncommitted.

With caller ID, my voice changes depending on the display. For my grandchildren there’s a bit of surprise because I know they have something to share. For my children there’s a since of pleasure and a touch of mischievousness because I know we’ll laugh together. Similar with friends seeking out a hand to touch, a shoulder to cry on. I won’t go into the voice used just before hanging up on junk calls.

When I’m calling out the voice response is similar. I do a good monotone when moving through voice activated menus, keeping the dislike completely hidden. I do miss people interaction.

The calls sound the same whether I’m reaching Springtown, Fort Worth, Bangalore or Montevideo.

When I speak to my Lord, I use different voices, too. At times I’m chatting with a dear friend sharing feelings, concerns and questions. At other times I’m crying for help from authority. From the author of the universe. I’m not concerned about how I sound to him, for He knows my heart.

Throughout the Bible we’re told to call upon our Lord:

Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. (1 Chronicles 16:8 KJV)

David had this in mind when he sang to the Lord: O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. (Psalms 105:1 KJV)

And, of the greatest importance to us, is this promise about the calling:

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Romans 10:13 KJV)

Do that, and we’re His forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)